Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Stages of "Teacherhood"

Remember when we read some of Galinsky's "Six Stages of Parenthood"? I am beginning to believe that teachers also go through similar stages (or at least me), and so far I have experienced the first and second stages. I think the Image-Making stage occurred during the summer training. All the new information, experiences, and ideas got me excited, and I began to construct images about how my classroom was going to be. It was a preparation for teaching. Now that I am actually in my classroom and with the children, I have begun the Nurturing stage. I am having to reconcile the images I had with my reality, which it is not a bad thing. I think our training did give us the tools to successfully guide young children; it is just a matter of crafting a plan of action for my room :) It is only the third day back, though. I still have many changes I need to make.

Looking forward to this new school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment